In the process of raising funds for the artificial turf which was inaugurated for the football field in the fall of 2010, it became apparent that there was no organized, non-commercial alumni group through which contacts could be made. Out of that experience, in the summer of 2011 a group of dedicated alums and friends of the school began the creation of the North Salem Viking Alumni and Friends Association to support our great school. A mission statement and bylaws were drawn up and 501(c)3 non-profit status was applied for. A nine-member Board of Directors was formed with staggered 3-year terms (each year a new third of the Board is voted upon). Committees have been formed, all of which may have non-Board members. The Viking Association is a work-in-progress and welcomes ideas for improvement.
To create, promote, and sustain a “Viking-connected” community of alumni and friends, this Association will foster a lasting and mutually beneficial relationship among alumni, North Salem High School (NSHS), its students and staff, and the community to support the mission, goals, and traditions of NSHS.
In support of this mission, the Viking Association will strive to:
- Encourage alumni & friends to use their time, talents, & energy in the support of NSHS.
- Promote financial support of NSHS, its students and activities.
- Develop a roster of alumni and friends.
- Provide opportunities for alumni and friends to network and interact with each other.
- Develop and sustain communication among alumni, students, school, and community.
- Communicate accomplishments of alumni & friends by maintaining the Hall of Fame.
- Seek any other ways to support NSHS, its students, staff, and alumni.